Sunday, January 3, 2010

Senior Year of Writing

This was my final year of high school writing, and I could see the quality of my writing improving. Again I had Mrs. Topham, and again, this would mean doing lots of work. But this year I felt good knowing exactly what was required from us in the portfolio. I thought this would be a big advantage, but it really was not at all. I told myself I would have the portfolio done weeks in advance, but just like last year, I was up finishing it the night before it was due. Anyway, senior year was a strong finish for me. This was the first time I had ever created a portfolio and having the confidence of knowing that every piece inside of it was strong. I spent more time writing this year than I ever have in high school, and all of that work allowed me to produce five of my favorite pieces. It didn't seem like I had any particular focus this year. I had spent the last three years improving some of the skills I was weaker at, and I think that this year, I wanted to use all of those refined skills. My storytelling had gotten much better, I was now good at using suspense, and I could now develop a character pretty well, so I wanted to use all of these in one story. This is the Senior piece I have included, but I would like to talk about one last weakness I had this year. I wanted to try new things this year, and this was the reason for my decision to try writing an all-dialogue piece. Well it wasn't all dialogue, but the majority of it was. This was very tough, and I struggled with making the conversation as realistic as possible, but in the end, I felt like I had created a good piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment